To ensure that you are well-prepared for the job application process, we recommend following the steps listed below. Although applying for a job can be a challenging and lengthy process, these steps will enable you to improve your application and increase your chances of success in the recruitment process. By taking the time to follow these steps, you will be equipped with the knowledge and tools necessary to confidently navigate the job application process and stand out from the group.
1. Understand the company: Research Komatsu both nationally and internationally. Learn as much as you can about the company including:
a. History: Learn about the company’s history, including when it was founded, how it has evolved over time and any significant milestones in its development.
b. Values: investigate the values that Komatsu upholds, such as its commitment to safety, innovation, sustainability, and customer satisfaction.
c. Products and Services: Familiarise yourself with the range of products and services that Komatsu offers such as construction and mining equipment, forklifts, and industrial machinery.
d. Career Opportunities: Explore the various career opportunities that Komatsu offers, such as management roles, training and development positions and cross-functional opportunities.
2. Apprenticeship Streams: Research what Apprenticeship Streams are available within that specific intake as this can change from year-to-year. You can find this information via the Komatsu website - Apprentice Program page a month prior to the applications open date.
3. Work experience / traineeships / pre-apprenticeship program: By completing work experience or a pre-apprenticeship before starting an apprenticeship, you will:
a. Gain exposure to the industry
b. Build knowledge and technical skills
c. Make an informed decision whether you enjoy this career path
d. Enhance employability
4. Speak with industry experts, technicians, and apprentices: This is advantageous for several reasons including:
a. Gain valuable insights about the industry, company culture and apprenticeship stream
b. Networking opportunities lead to future recommendations
c. Interview preparation by better understanding the recruitment process, what questions to ask and how Komatsu looks after their employees
d. Stand out from the crowd by demonstrating additional knowledge about the industry, Komatsu and what the role will entail on a day-to-day basis.
5. Update your resume: Ensure your resume is current and details the following:
a. Personal details – Name, address, current workplace / school, work experience, pre-apprenticeships, training certificates, licenses, hobbies, awards / accolades, voluntary work, referee contact details
6. Gain additional skills: Enrol into extra-curricular activities as this will promote personal growth and development. Some examples include:
b. Sporting Clubs / Social groups
d. Leadership Positions – Coaching / Referee / Instructing Classes
e. Learn a musical instrument, language, art classes etc
7. Attend industry events / Career Expos / Branch guided walkthroughs: Review the schedule of events which the Komatsu Team will be attending throughout the year whereby you will have the chance to ask any questions face-to-face.
8. Speak to your Career Advisor: Reach out to your School’s Career Advisor for advice on pre-apprenticeships on offer, work experience and partnerships with local businesses, assistance with improving your resume and preparing for interviews, guidance on various career pathways and qualifications.
9. Strong School results: It is advantageous to have passed English and Maths therefore advise to focus on achieving the best possible results, for those completing high school.